Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAuto Trans- A604
Topic subjectATF+3 is going away for good! (Just some info for you guys.)
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=33&topic_id=321
321, ATF+3 is going away for good! (Just some info for you guys.)
Posted by Dirty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have talked to a bunch of Satans and they said that Mopar is not making anymore ATF+3. They all said everything should be using ATF+4 now. This is all good except "YOU SHOULD NOT MIX ATF+3 WITH ATF+4". So instead of having to pay to get my tranny flushed next time I wanna change my fluid and my personal hatred of Satan, I went to 4 places around here and bought all they had left. I now have about 10 gallons. If you don't trust your mechanic or you prefer DIY I suggest you get some while you can.

I think you'll still be able to buy the shit they sell at autopart stores but I likes the Mopar. :thumbsup
322, RE: ATF+3 is going away for good! (Just some info for you guys.)
Posted by Joe B Slow, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
They dont have MOPAR ATF+4?
323, RE: ATF+3 is going away for good! (Just some info for you guys.)
Posted by amljbs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You sure about that because on the back of the bottle of ATF +4. It says itll work with ATF+ , ATF+ 2, and ATF +3.
324, RE: ATF+3 is going away for good! (Just some info for you guys.)
Does it say it will work WITH the ATF+4. Or with CARS that require ATF+ etc etc etc? Like for example "If your car requires ATF+3 you may substitute ATF+4"

326, RE: ATF+3 is going away for good! (Just some info for you guys.)
From what I've heard, you shouldn't mix any of them together. You can use ATF+4 in trannys that were meant for ATF, ATF+2, ATF+3, etc., but I wouldn't mix them.

I would do the ATF+4 but since I was told you shouldn't mix them, that means you would have to flush your tranny before making the switch. I believe this is one of the reasons the tranny in my truck messed up. One thing is for sure, Chrysler trannys are really picky!
328, RE: ATF+3 is going away for good! (Just some info for you guys.)
Could be just the way its worded but it says " ATF +4 maybe used in all transmission applications in which ATF +, ATF +2, and ATF +3 have been specified." So maybe they are just saying it will work as a replacement for them not as a mix with them. When I did the Final Drive mod Bob Kise had told me to use ATF +4 to top it off.
329, RE: ATF+3 is going away for good! (Just some info for you guys.)
exactly. so hmm - i need to ask for ATf+4 when my new tranny's installed. Is it that much more $$$?

joe
333, RE: ATF+3 is going away for good! (Just some info for you guys.)
I paid $18.24 for a gallon of ATF +4 from Bob Kise.
334, RE: ATF+3 is going away for good! (Just some info for you guys.)
That isnt bad at all. And well worth the difference between a flush and the price of ATF+4!

thanks, gunna call up the shop doing my tranny tommorow.

Joseph
340, RE: ATF+3 is going away for good! (Just some info for you guys.)
Hey man, here in Nashville the guy said he still has something like 2500+ gallons in their warehouse!

He also mentioned that the 2000- cars can mix ATF4 and ATF3 but the 2000+ should not mix the fluid.

Joseph
427, RE: ATF+3 is going away for good! (Just some info for you guys.)
Posted by bedlam32570, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
it's pretty much like what they did with dextron 3. dextron3 can be used in any tranny that calls for the lower of it. i am pretty sure that you can mix atf+4 and atf+3 but i would check with chrysler to make sure.

oh and if you go to superlube to get your tranny done, don't cause they only use dextron3/mercon in the tranny and add a stabilizer to adjust it to what your car requires. my tranny has been slipping every since. i am taking it there and telling them it's slipping on me since.
432, RE: ATF+3 is going away for good! (Just some info for you guys.)
duh - cause you cant use Dexron/Mercon in our cars no way no how.

Joseph
439, RE: ATF+3 is going away for good! (Just some info for you guys.)
Posted by DvSEclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i use dexron/mercron II/III, stuff from the autostore for two years now.
443, RE: ATF+3 is going away for good! (Just some info for you guys.)
>i use dexron/mercron II/III, stuff from the autostore for two
>years now.

Well good luck with that shit. Thats what messed up my tranny in my truck. Chrysler trannys say NO!
523, RE: ATF+3 is going away for good! (Just some info for you guys.)
Posted by bedlam32570, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i know that you can't use Dextron3/mercon in our trannies, just in our power steering. what they do at superlube is use dextron3/mercon and add a friction modifier in it. personally i think it's a bogus idea to do that. they're doing that to save money. i think i am about the 10th person who's had a problem. my friend's f150 started slipping after they did it.
I generated this page in 0.0086050033569336 seconds, executing 7 queries.