Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAuto Trans- A604
Topic subjectrunning without a tcu?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=33&topic_id=2727
2727, running without a tcu?
Posted by ajna_star, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
that ebay shift-tronic thing said you can use it without actually using the tcu... so im asuming it controls the sollenoids by itself.

#1 would that be SAFE

#2 wouldnt that remove all the annoying restrictions the tcu puts on out tranny?
2728, RE: running without a tcu?
Posted by jsupetran, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
off-topic: I got the email from the seller the other day and he said he is putting more on the auction in two weeks.

I hope dsmeclipse gets his installed and gives a review.

-------jezreel
hrc stage 2, sfmu, ml, prokits, egt, boost gauge, apexi tt, turbo xs rfl, haydans tranny cooler, costum dp, dr. uber groundwires, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler

nothing like driving with the windows down and the music low: i love hearing the turbo spool, swwwhhhttt!!!!
thanks for www.kaptainmyke.com for the sig hosting :thumbsup

2731, RE: running without a tcu?
Posted by Corbin, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'd be worried about other problems cropping up when you control the solenoids yourself and disconnect the TCU. You could imagine that the stock TCU allows more slip when the fluid is cold, goes into limp mode if a problem is detected, shifts at redline if you forget, pulses the solenoids so they don't burn out, and other random things. The TCU and ECU also talk over a couple different lines. They discuss things like timing retard while shifting and who knows what else. Now, could you remove the TCU, install the controller, remove the AT ECU, and install a MT ECU? Would that let you redline at 7500 (or whatever it is for MT)? There are alot of questions that need answering. Most of it boils down to someone just buying it and testing.

Corbin

'95 ESI-T
HRC+FMIC+ETC...

Gimme fuel...Gimme fire...Gimme that which I desire
2732, RE: running without a tcu?
Posted by mcgyvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
DONT RUN WITHOUT A TCU.......
for all the reasons corbin said and more.
you will burn through it MUCH MUCH quicker.
2735, RE: running without a tcu?
so even running with a TCU & this thing... its controlling the sollenoids by itself... so its not pulsing them & your gonna burn them out quicker?
2738, RE: running without a tcu?
Posted by mcgyvr, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yes, probably, no one really knows but the guy who made it.
If he wants to sell more he should come on here and talk it up. give us the info.

But yes the TCU takes in to account alot of variables before it decides to shift anything. like clutch volume indexes,etc.. I thought it said it was only for emergencies or when the car is in limp mode from a stupid sensor. thats the only time I would use it without the TCU.

I still think that the autostick mod is cheaper and easier and the TCU is controlling shifts correctly.
2739, RE: running without a tcu?
well then someones gotta get on that autostick mod right quick... has anyone actually done it yet?
I generated this page in 0.0094449520111084 seconds, executing 7 queries.