Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAuto Trans- A604
Topic subjectreal slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=33&topic_id=1173
1173, real slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?
Posted by DSMkarz, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
My car seems really slow for the mods I have tried to make it faster but the wife is getting sick of spending $$$. The mods are MachV rear section exhaust, Injen intake, Greddy header and I put B&M trick shift fluid in to try and light a fire but to all that only got me 2/10ths in the 1/4. the car runs 18.52s pretty consistant but this is very sad in my eyes.

The trans control modual went out a few years ago and was replaced could this be a problem. the car felt peppy when we got it back but we where driving a Bettle as a loaner so it could have just been that we had not driven it in a month. Any hints, advise, or ideas will be great. thanx for reading and helping

Joe
1175, RE: real slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?
Posted by dougie2, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Intake, exhaust, and header isn't going to get you much with the 420A. The 5-spd would cut your time a second or two but to really get some power you need to upgrade some mechanical engine parts (UDP, Pistons, cams, etc.)
1176, RE: real slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?
Posted by amljbs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
18.52 is still pretty high for the a604 you should be running somewhere in the 17s. Do the Shift kit and final drive mods and you should be able to get into the 16s.
1178, RE: real slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?
Posted by soulcontroller, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
dont fret. i was running 18.5 consistently back when i 1st went to the track. i havent been back since lol. i didnt really know what i was doing (see example below)...

with just a few of the basic bolt ons, larger/heavier wheels, stereo in the trunk (and on lol), full of gas, thats a pretty normal time.

drop some weight, throw on some more mods, and learn the ropes of the track and your times will drop like crazy.
1183, RE: real slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?
Posted by Dark Ringleader, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
interesting, my friend has a 99 RS auto and his first time to the track he ran a 17.9 and all he did was slam on the gas, and the thing is bone stock, all he did was take out the back seats.
1184, RE: real slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?
Posted by ThE oRACLe, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
take all the crap out of your car. the headers will do nothing ... lose weight rev great !!~~!!
1186, RE: real slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?
Posted by Dirty, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I disagree. When I put on my header, I got a some more pull.

Dude, you just gotta keep modding the car. Lose some weight and lower the tire pressure. Also, I would get a full exhaust. I would get new pipes, but use the muffler and pipes that you already bought. I don't have shit for mods, but I like everything that I've done, and there is a big improvement now then when it was stock.
1191, RE: real slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?
hehe yea, ive noticed a big improvement from when i was stock too.
1192, RE: real slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?
yeah I would be a little dissapointed if you didnt soulcontroller :D . On the topic of the header Im with Dirty 100% it does make a difference the ones that say it doesnt usually havent had one.
1193, RE: real slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?

>hehe yea, ive noticed a big improvement from when i was stock too.

I'm all envy right now. It's coming though. pppsssshhhhhhh! }(
1215, RE: real slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?
see the tranny cooler? and a header should give you a little more pull through the mid range rpms, at the sacrifice of a little low end power.
1233, RE: real slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?
Actually if you go with the 4-2-1 header config youll notice gains on the low end.
1236, RE: real slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?
Posted by DSMkarz, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Well I don't think I'll go w/ a 4-2-1 because once the bills get figured out(just had our 1st kid:-)) a star kit is going on. As for the trans mods will it really land me in th 16's that just seems to unreal. Oh yeah! That has got to be the biggest damn trans cooler I've ever seen!

If I get the shift kit an final drive upgrade what kind of trans coolers should I use? Where does it mount, and what size works best.
I know its alot to ask but why waist another thread.

thanx for the help
joe
1245, RE: real slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?
Posted by InFiNiT3, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I went with the hyden Trans cooler.. easy to install , works very nicely.. and just under 30$ from autozone.. now i put mine rite infront of my radiator... but i see u wann turbo..... so i'd put itover in front of te EVAP canister.... just make sure u line it up with the airdamn...

1260, RE: real slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?
Dude, you should move it off the radiator. Your radiator will heat it up and definitely not cool things down.

Unwritten rule #17: If it's supposed to cool something down, keep it away from a heat source. :)
1262, RE: real slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?
Posted by InFiNiT3, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Good point bro....
when i get her back from the tranny shop ill do that :)

kinda like rule # 52 "take your time when doing mods ,if not you'll fuck it up some way some how" (thus my placment)

AEM cam Gears,MSD ignition,Chikira 4-2-1 header,Custom 2.5" exhast,Pacsetter hiflo cat ,head p/p , intake p/p 2mm oversize tit valves , t/b p/p , shiftkit , TQ lockup mod , and much mor
1274, RE: real slow for the mods is the auto trans holding me back?
I'm always breaking rule #52. Thats why I'm so familiar with rule #31: Don't piss of the owner of the local auto parts store.
I generated this page in 0.0091829299926758 seconds, executing 7 queries.