Go back to previous topic
Forum nameReal Racing
Topic subjectTires for autocross/track racing?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=936
936, Tires for autocross/track racing?
Posted by Kiku, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Trying to prepare for the road race school at carlisle this may, and i need to get a set of tires for that, and I was looking at the Hoosiers R3S03 tires. About $200 a pop from tirerack, is it worth it?

1997 Chrysler Sebring "Silver XTC"
I4 420a w/ HRC Stage 2.45 w/ FMIC
14.7@97 mph@6psi
Proud member of the
ASOG BoOsT JuNkIe Crew

937, RE: Tires for autocross/track racing?
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I think so. Hoosiers are usually expensive, but in my opinion great racing tires.
938, RE: Tires for autocross/track racing?
Posted by 992gnt, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I haven't been to a road course with them, but I've used Kumho V700's for the last 2 years. Really good auto-x tire, I imagine they would work well on a road course, and at the strip they got me several 2.1 60' times. And they're cheaper than the Hoosiers. I have a friend who auto-x's his Miata, and also works with tire manufacturers regularly. He has a set of Kumhos for hot days and a set of Hoosiers for the cool days. Dunno if that helps or not, but that's been my experience.

939, RE: Tires for autocross/track racing?
Posted by HadesOmega, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
yeah kumhos are a good alternative road race tire. You don't need super good tires like hoosiers I'm guessing for school. If you gonna race competatively perhaps. I've heard many good things abou Falken Azenis as well. You can use these tires in the rain also, I hear their wet traction is good.
940, RE: Tires for autocross/track racing?
Posted by My_therapy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Look into the Toyo RA-1. One of the guys that works for me put them on his sub 2.5 rs and he really like them for road racing and strip. They have some wet traction capabilities also. Plus it is the chosen tire for 2 of the racing circuits this year, one of them being for the Miata. Also can be very competivly priced. If you check prices on any of them, let me know and I will tell you if someone is trying to take you for a ride. By the way, Hoosier has 2 competition tires, one for road racing and one for auto-x. 2 entirelly different compounds. Auto-x tires heats up ALOT quicker because you are only running for about 30-45sec at a time. Road tires usually take 1-2 laps depending on circumstances to heat up to full traction. Have fun, and let me know if any Road racing going on around Indy that I don't know of.
941, RE: Tires for autocross/track racing?
Posted by 96venger, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I found some NITTO RRR or something like that, but they are drag radials and they have them at discounttiredirect.com for 65 shipped ea.

Are these good tires or no?
942, RE: Tires for autocross/track racing?
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sorry, Vinnie.. i'm not gonna be there to see it.

I'd say, if you can swing it, Hoosier. If not, get the Kumho's. Both are good tires from what i have seen.
I generated this page in 0.0097410678863525 seconds, executing 7 queries.