Go back to previous topic
Forum nameReal Racing
Topic subjectNeed some launching tips DSM nt..Atx Accurate ones
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=5303
5303, Need some launching tips DSM nt..Atx Accurate ones
Posted by dalesmitsu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
would like some tech advice about how launch an Nt AtX w/ CAI 3inch exhaust.

My brother and did a head to head the other night.wanted to see how good my DSM is to his Mx6
I pulled my ebrake to an spin my tires to warm'em abit, and released it to take off. Well, my take off was pretty decent, but my young bro in his Mx6 was sit'n spinning I got about two lenghts on him.
This was done as for practice, there was no traffic its next to a strip we're going this SATURDAY. He wants see if he show me(my DSM) up. His Mx6 is an 5spd and mines an AtX, and his mazda is stock except for aloud exhaust and mines with an full CAI system.
I told him that he'll get two/three seconds on me from launch thats about it.

I'm curious here,he our both rides are the same 2.0 DOHC rated 140 hhp stock but My 97 DSM will have 30 to 50 extra HP from my Injen full CAI. Now is this true 30-50 xtra HP WOW...

I'm doing all my stuff on the track, so I some will tell I'm very bad.
So, this going the right way / not wrong.
I've read about the use of an E-brake for auto, and then releasing it to launch or rotate the steering wheel for a burnout.

Oh, this was in superstreet.

Some semi/pro advice for a Newbs 1st run tech. for an NT auto would very heplful.

Thanks for the tip about the waterbox that'll be useful
5304, RE: Need some launching tips DSM nt..Atx Accurate ones
Posted by Remy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by dalesmitsu
My 97 DSM will have 30 to 50 extra HP from my Injen full CAI. Now is this true 30-50 xtra HP WOW...

More like 5hp gain on that cold air intake.

Good luck.

----------------------------------------
GT35 and stuff.
Lucky Number 6 ...
5305, RE: Need some launching tips DSM nt..Atx Accurate ones
Yeah, I know that but shhh.. don't tel that my brother lol
5306, RE: Need some launching tips DSM nt..Atx Accurate ones
Anyone else
5307, RE: Need some launching tips DSM nt..Atx Accurate ones
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Um.....I agree with Remy?

I'd like to help but I have never even driven an Auto DSM. And automatics are pretty specific to each vehicle. With sticks you can transfer generalities, but not with autos. Too many variables between models etc. I suspect that because there are so few auto dsm racers, that others are in the same boat as I am. We'd like to help but aren't informed enough on the auto.

MB
5314, RE: Need some launching tips DSM nt..Atx Accurate ones
Posted by Malenko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
ummm push the gas pedal and see what happens? our ATX sucks sooooo much power away from our cars.

5320, RE: Need some launching tips DSM nt..Atx Accurate ones
well, I've done that, my take is pretty good against my bros MX6.
He's left behind spinning his wheels, but what I'm after is about the launch.
I've tried the e-brake thing, pull ebrake way back and put my left foot on the brake pedal, rev'ed up the tach litlle bit pass 6000 rpm but not into the redline. I slowly released my foot off the brakepedal, and slowly released the ebrake. At the time, I've thought I heared my wheels spin but probably not but I did notice a burning smell from when I released the e-brake.

Could someone explain more launchin tips. Would be real great.

dalesmitsu, "put more GO, with the show"

"SLOW is NO OPTION" this should be Team 2gnt slogan. :thumbsup
5326, RE: Need some launching tips DSM nt..Atx Accurate ones
Posted by eclipse_gs_1512, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many younger brothers do/did you have? Because in another thread you claimed that your younger brother killed himself.
5327, RE: Need some launching tips DSM nt..Atx Accurate ones
Thanks for asking,

I have four younger brothers, one who killed himself is my real bro. same mom/dad. Other are my half brothers, same mo different dad. I also, and older sister too.

Well, I grew up with the one who pasted on. I lived in MI all my life, and didn't really my MOm that much, when I was younger. But I did visit her during the summer sometimes. So, when I was older I've decided that I had enough with Michigan. Move to the Buckeye state, its actually like Michigan, but except the towns are spread out more.
Plus, the I live now is within driving distance to Dragstrips and not far from Summitracing for parts.

Whats real cool about this tiny town I live in, is during the DSM Shootout in August, they have festival and car show last day.

All takes place week of my birthday lol.. yippie

I gave in, Please if anyone interested check out my ride, rate it, give advice, and don't forget to sign my guest book. Cardomain.com dalesmitsu

Thanks for your question. peace
5332, RE: Need some launching tips DSM nt..Atx Accurate ones
Posted by CarbonFiberRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
NT and AT... the best advice on launching is Don't. Just drive it and enjoy it.
5361, RE: Need some launching tips DSM nt..Atx Accurate ones
Posted by burntheblobs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Spinning street tires does nothing but ruin your tread. If you have slicks you'd want to warm those guys up, not street tires.
5380, RE: Need some launching tips DSM nt..Atx Accurate ones
Posted by Avenger, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Power brake (brake all the way down, part throttle) till 2200 rpm and then hold it there. Release brake, push throttle pedal to the floor. Wait till you cross the line. That's it. Unless you upgrade to a higher stall TQ converter (which really won't net you anything right now).

To decrease the power slug known as the ATX look up the final drive mod for the Auto trans. That should help give the car some needed pep. Not alot but it'll help (more than most other mods will).

Also no back to back runs without ample cool down. Heat kills the ATX.
5381, RE: Need some launching tips DSM nt..Atx Accurate ones
Posted by Graph-X, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Am I the only one that remembers some launch tips (for both trannys) being on the front page FAQ?

http://www.2gnt.com/nuke/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=1&categories=General#19
I generated this page in 0.009087085723877 seconds, executing 7 queries.