Go back to previous topic
Forum nameReal Racing
Topic subjecta night at the races
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=2955
2955, a night at the races
Posted by ner947, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well, i finally got to new england dragway tonight in epping, new hampshire. it was pretty fun. i finally got some decent timeslips, and some clutchslip.

first run of the night, i had my boost controller down to 8 psi. i ran up against some 'teg, i launched pretty bad and bogged a little in 1st because i suck. .712 for my R/T and a 2.442 60' time. he only had basic bolt-ons so i ran a 14.802 ET with a 96.47 MPH trap. he ran a 15.8. easy kill.

second run, definately the best. i turned up the boost to about 12 psi. still had issues with the launch, .808 for my R/T and a slightly better 60' time at 2.388 seconds. still needs a LOT of work though. i need to go up and race more often. i was racing against some hooligan in an older camaro, for some reason people were suprized when i beat his 16.1 with my 14.424 ET and a 99.48 MPH trap. i still remember the announcer saying "ah, it's chevy VS. eagle, who's gonna win?" everyone yelled "CHEVY POWAH!!!!" so good.

my third run sucked. i was up against a somewhat modded 1G GSX with a "rebuilt engine and a big 16g", but he didn't have a boost controller (wtf?) and was only boosting 12 psi. this run i decided to turn my boost up to about 14-15 psi, which i what i've been praticing on recently. the only downside to this boost level is that EGT's rise pretty fast with a crapply-mounted 1G SMIC. anyhow, my launch wasn't that great. soon after getting all squared away in 2nd gear, my clutch started slipping. it didn't stop slipping. i shifted to 3rd, 4th, 5th, still slipped. i put it in neuteral and coasted down the rest of the track after giving up. i'm not even going to post my trap/ET, it was embarassing. however, the guy with the 1G didn't do too much better, he was a really crappy driver and after the race he told me that he missed 2nd and 3rd gear. and i thought that he was just mesing with me the whole time...

well, i guess it's about time for a new clutch and a FMIC.

discuss.
2968, RE: a night at the races
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'll get a chance to se that run in person, as soon as the right cams arrive...
3008, RE: a night at the races
another trip to NED. on the way up in deep thought i figured out why i've been getting fuel cut. see "why does my ECU 'hickup'?" thread in the turbo section.

there was absolutely NO ONE there last night. it was insane. i ended up getting 5 runs in, however, i could have gotten in twice as many runs if i wanted to.

#1. me against something not that impressive. i can't even remember what kind of car it was. i had issues right after the burnout before the race, the guys there said i was leaking coolant everywhere and told me to pull off to the side to fix it. i couldn't see anything leaking from anywhere, and the guy was like "HEY JIM/BOB/JON (or another generic name) THIS ECLIPSE AIN'T LEAKIN ANYMORE." so i got to go. asleep at the light with a 1.063 R/T, a crappy 60' at 2.621, but at least i ran a 14.903 @ 98.30. the other car was in the 16's.

#2. much better run. me against what seemed to be a mostly stock SRT-4, i think it just had a blow off valve or something. slightly better light at .855, but still not so great. 2.439 for the 60', i lost to the SRT-4's 14.515 @ 99.27 to my 14.765 @ 96.15. i had the boost turned down a little on that run. if i got a 2.2 second 60' time, i would have probably won.

#3. right after something weird happened to the track. i think one of the bikes broke down or something. the track was über slippery. me against what looked like a pretty stock 1G Laser, i lighted at .543 (yay! much better!) but a not so great 60' time at 2.555. i won with a 15.102 @ 96.55 vs. the 1G's 15.3 @ 88.43.

#4. got to race my friend in his S70R volvo. the track is still slippery. he has some basic mods like intake and a chip. it's a nice sleeper. i lighted at .684, 2.624 60' time, and finished up with a 15.590 @ 96.13. my worst run of the night. hell, todd's N/A 2gnt could beat that :P

#5. probably my all around best run of the night. i raced my friend's '95 300ZX twin-turbo. i kept telling myself "nate, you can take him." the tree drops, i launch with a .536 light (yay! starting to get the hang of this!) and a 2.484 60' time. his launch was really bad though. he got a 2.734 60' time. immidately i got about 3/4 of a car length on him...

...and it was a DEAD HEAT for the rest of the 1320. i beat his 14.922 @ 96.51 with my 14.849 @ 98.28. it was pretty damn close. awesome. i bet a twin-turbo Z.

well, in about a month i'll have a LSD, CM stage IV, a FMIC, and more time to do some better tuning. maybe i'll be in the high 13's if i'm lucky!
3009, RE: a night at the races
Posted by eclipzGST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Nice dood. Eventually, I'll make it up there again one of these days (nights) :P Probably on a Wed. or Fri when the NEDSM crew is there.

-Tony '98-GST
tony_branczyk@aearo.com
eclipzgst@charter.net

http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM
3010, RE: a night at the races
yeah, i think i saw a bunch of them there on wednesday night. there was this one guy with a red 2G TSi with more computers in it then Los Alamos Lab. there was a gray GST running 11's too. it was insane. there was another red 1g with gunmetal rims also in the mid/low 11's.

after one of my runs i parked next to some 2G's with FMIC's and tweaked my S-FMU a little. they casually looked over and didn't say anything to me. i bet they thought i was weird or something for turbocharging a 2gnt instead of "selling it and buying a GSX"
3011, RE: a night at the races
Posted by VX100, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
>yeah, i think i saw a bunch of them there on wednesday night.

Sorry, can't head up there witht he car out of action. Hopefully that will change very soon and I'll get a chance to run against you ;)

>there was this one guy with a red 2G TSi with more computers
>in it then Los Alamos Lab.

That was Scott. Really cool guy, has a huge flat screen monitor and computer bolted into his car. It controls how his car runs too :o

>there was a gray GST running 11's
>too. it was insane.

That might have been Chris Blanc, he's the only guy with a grey 1g running fast that I know of.

there was another red 1g with gunmetal
>rims also in the mid/low 11's.

That was probably Mike Rizzotti, if it was a perfectly clean and painted, with a rol cage in it, with a young kid wandering around it making fun of hondas (that's Mike's son) then it was him :)

>after one of my runs i parked next to some 2G's with FMIC's
>and tweaked my S-FMU a little. they casually looked over and
>didn't say anything to me. i bet they thought i was weird or
>something for turbocharging a 2gnt instead of "selling it and
>buying a GSX"

Some of them probably thought that. You've got to head up there with me so I can introduce you to the other NEDSM people, and you've gotta get on the mailing list.
I generated this page in 0.0085368156433105 seconds, executing 7 queries.