Go back to previous topic
Forum nameReal Racing
Topic subjectDRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=1256
1256, DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
Posted by babybeclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just wondering what my sidewayz buddies are using and how you like your set-up.

I know this should be in the suspension section but I want to know how their set-ups effect their driving technique.
1257, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
Posted by HadesOmega, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
nah it should be in the racing section. Well this is what HadesOmega currently has for suspension mods for drifting.

Skunk2 springs
KYB AGXs front=1 rear=8
12mm rear sway bar
19mm TSi front sway bar (not a good idea)
205/40/16 400 A B dunlop qualifers in the rear
205/55/16 200 A A Potenzas up front
Increase rear tire pressure over front

I believe that is pretty much it. Just put some crap tires in the rear and your ready to go. Like get some 14 that have like 500 treadwear and overinflate them bwahahaha that'll do the job. Also if you have super grippy tires in the front you won't drift that far cuz you can't spin the tires as long, so I sugest something within the area of 300-350 treadwear for the front. Haha at 7psi I can spin the tires though :P The dampers helps A LOT also. Reason I have the front softer than the rear is so I get faster tranfer of weight to the front so I can lighten the rear and kick it out. With this setup up I can do a left foot brake inertial drift at full countersteer if I do a faint motion without using the ebrake. Yeah screw those people who think FF can't drift without the drift lever it's possible :P Oh yeah haha if you wanna use the drift lever tighten it up a bit more by disengaging it (on a flat surface) and tightening the tension screw that in the centerconsole. The 2GNT makes a good drift car cuz it doesn't understeer that much and the ebrake is pretty strong.

Happy dorifto-rama remember practice drift in a safe place. ^_^
1258, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
Thats what I was thinking.
Soft shocks up front and stiff in the rear to allow transfer of weight.

Have you had any problems with your KYB AGXs? I heard they blow too easy.

I'm working on how to set-up my coils for better transfer from rear to front.

Any suggestions?
1259, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
oh yeah I forgot you can get stiffer spring rates for the rear. I saw a EF-9 civic using 14kG in the rear and 10 kG in the front.

Haven't had any problems with my AGXs, I don't think they're blown hehe.
1260, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
I got a chance to try out my new set-up.

I LIKE!

I think I'm still lacking somewhere? It takes some higher speeds and lots of braking to lock rears.

Any advise?

Maybe I still need more practice!
1261, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
yeah you gotta have speed.

try jerking the wheel and yanking the ebrake with the gas floored. I don't recommend this if you have grippy tires though, won't spin the tires as much.

this is a pretty hard technique but use left foot braking to shift the weight to the front and jerk the wheel, it's cool it feels like your car is a MR. You can go so far as to do a faint motion by turning the wheel opposite the turn and point in the direction you want to turn violently and left foot braking afterwards. This is my most advanced technique so its GONNA take some practice.

Good luck remember do it in a safe place :)
1262, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
I finaly got it to "start" sliding a bit without the ebrake.

Sweet :thumbsup

How do you set your coil-over height for drifting with/without ebrake?
1263, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
I don't. I just have it lowered like 2 inches. I don't think height will make much of a difference besides making your car look weird.
1264, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
I finaly got a perfect drift!

I had two people in the car but It was sweeeet!

Thanks for your help.
1265, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
Posted by theallpowerfulme, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey Hey hey! I haven't been on in a while and discovered this to day

my setup:

completely stock susp. w/100000 miles on it.
three matching tires and one new used one and one that leaks.
all tires have plugs, some more than one.

just add some left foot like hades said and you're in for some drift-o-rama!
1266, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
How and when do you left foot brake?! BTW my car is auto! well...till this winter it still is }>
1267, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
First off, it is difficult. Try driving around normally for a while and use your left foot to stop (redlights, stop signs, etc). This will give you a good feel on the brake pedal. As you enter the turn you will stay on the gas with your right foot and press the brake with your left foot (I can't tell you how hard you will just feel when it is right), That will transfer most of the weight to the front wheels and cause the rear to come loose. Neat huh? You wont get it right the first time, just practice. That is basically the theallpowerfulme crashcourse on left foot braking. I'll send you a bill :) . HAPPY DRIFTING!
1268, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
WOW, So no e-brake right?

I can't beleive your still on stock suspension. It's a big differance with stiffer shocks.

With e-braking the back end just kick right out.

I guess I'll master e-brake first then move on when I'm ready.
1269, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
Yep, no e-brake. I've noticed that e-brake slides, especially on pavement mess up my back tires, I think that is why they are leaking. Also, I don't know if you have heard of it before, but talk to hades about traying. He's got some pretty cool videos on his site. I just go a new job so I'm saving for a completely new susp. setup (strut bars, coilovers, swaybars) and some 18" wheels with 40 series rubber, until then, flat tires and wheelhop for me!
1270, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
yep yep no ebrake drifting in a FF. That's a pretty big accomplishment since everyone thinks we just pull the ebrake to drift. It feels awkward to left foot brake but since you got auto it should be easier hehe... it's like trying to intentionally do somethign that a bad habit :P You can get you car really sideways by doing a faint motion then left footing. Hehe the cool thing with left footing is that you can adjust how much sideway you wanna go by pressing the pedal harder but if you press it too hard you'll lock the front up and understeer instead :X
1271, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
Now I know why I can't kick the back out without e-brake. Front tires SUCK! I turn the wheel hit the brakes and they just scream. The back tries to let go but the front goes first.

I'm not into traying. I'm out to kill tires!
1272, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
heh yeah the right amount of braking helps too. Try overinflating the rear and deflate the front tires some. That'll give you traction up front and decrease traction in the rear. Also if you got mega negative camber from lower you car hella in the rear I don't think it'll break free so easy. Haha I tried to do it in an accord that had massive negative camber and it wouldn't budge. :P
1273, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
understeer.......... yes, yes, I have met him a few times. No good thing can come from him! Stay Away!.....If you can.
1274, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
SOLID! got the sig pic working!
1275, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
Nice sig!

I'm still looking for fellow drifters to hit the industrial parks in Chi-town for practice!

Were did you guys learn how to drift?
1276, RE: DRIFTERS!-What suspension set-up you on?
how about a little background info. I live in a rural town of 10000. Main entertainment activity is get drunk and do crazy stuff in a vehicle. This involves, hill climbing, muddin', and gettin' nuts on some country roads. I've owned rwd cars up until my eclipse and I am still the only ff in the area that can drift. The area the sig pic was taken is a 10 square mile area of perfect rally roads. Complete with descending turns, ascending turns, jumps, fast straights, and chicaynes, it is awesome. I can really tear it up!
I generated this page in 0.012127161026001 seconds, executing 7 queries.