Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjectAmp Hiding locations
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=13029
13029, Amp Hiding locations
Posted by 740 turbo brick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Anyone have any sneaky hiding spots for an aftermarket amp? In my case, a quite large Sony Xplod 800watt. My GF and her bro had their entire stereo systems stolen and in the event someone gets in my car, Id rather they not find it. I have one of the sub boxes that fit the shape of my hatch so they wont get that out, and I hide my faceplate in my glovebox. So hiding the amp out of sight or unable to get to easily will help keep my stuff. Any other anti-theft measures you can think of let me know.
13030, RE: Amp Hiding locations
Posted by Nightfall, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Under the seat :shrug and I wouldn't advise leaving your faceplate in the glovebox, which is a very common spot to "hide" the faceplate and thieves know this. If they want something bad enough they're gonna get it, reguardless of what they have to tear up to have it. A good aftermarket alarm also helps. As far as I know, the factory alarm doesn't provide any "shock-sensing" abilities.
13031, RE: Amp Hiding locations
I plan on getting a Viper car alarm here soon. Also when I throw the faceplate in the glovebox, I lock it. I understand they can take a hammer or some shit to it, but again, out of sight, out of mind. I also have my CD player screwed to the original brackets and the chassis instead of the flimsy dash install kits.
13032, RE: Amp Hiding locations
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I'm guessing it won't fit under your seat? I'm working on making a hatch cover/parcel shelf that allows more sound to pass through than the normal particle board unit.
13033, RE: Amp Hiding locations
Yeah its just too long. Its hitting a piece of the seat on both sides no matter what angle I put it in. That was my original plan because thats where the factory amps go at anyway. Im not sure how easy it would be to break into my car, but in the event someone does all they have to do is fold down my rear seat and pull the amp out at this point. Theres not really too many places to hide something in our cars.
13034, RE: Amp Hiding locations
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The other thought I've had is doing a spare tire well mount sub and raising the floor a few inches to mount the amps under the trunk cover. I've seen it done before and it looks SUPER clean
13050, RE: Amp Hiding locations
Posted by Corbin, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I hid mine under the seats, but they were taken anyway. Later, I used large 1/4" pop rivits to attach the amps to the backs of the rear seats. You need to feel around to find the sheetmetal supports in the seat backs. If you do it right, a drill is needed to remove the rivit. If you decide to screw the amp to anything, you can buy "tamper resistant" screws. They screw in normally, but will not screw out (due to the head design). You see them on bathroom stalls to keep jack-asses from disassembling the doors. I am using these now and they are a major PITA to remove.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki
13097, RE: Amp Hiding locations
Posted by BossRsT, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
When I first upgraded my system I put it on the back of the rear seats. Then I got bored with the look and built a amp rack with LEDs and 2 fans in the spare tire well.
13112, RE: Amp Hiding locations
Posted by dalesmitsu, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Have you thought or tried under the rear seat towards the driverside awy from the fuel pump. You might able to modify the foam underneath the seat, in form the amp.
I generated this page in 0.0084700584411621 seconds, executing 7 queries.