Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjectHead Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=12613
12613, Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp
Posted by ShoalsDSM97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys, i'm getting a new head unit after my harness to the stock infinity amp took a dump on me and cracked in half. Will I have problems installing my new head unit now since the amp will be unplugged completely? Does the stock head unit run to the amp and then out to the speakers? I don't wanna have to cut the harness off and wire all the corresponding wires together but I guess if I have to I can. Or will I be able to wire up the new head unit harness to the stock harness without any problems?

Thanks!

Joseph
12614, RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp
Posted by MitsuEclipseGS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Just bypass the amp and run all new thicker gauge wire from the head unit to the speakers.
-Todd
12615, RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp
What's a good size to get? 14-16guage any bigger than stock? Also, if I wanna run some 4" in the dash to replace the tweeters, will I be able to with a new head unit? Or is that only possible with the stock unit with the amp that runs the 6 speaker system?
12616, RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp
Well I have a GS with no factory amp and the car came with 6 speakers. 2 in the dash, 2 in the door, and 2 in the back. You should have no problem with putting new speakers in as long as they fit. And on the wire gauge size, I believe the stock is like 22 gauge, so anything bigger than that would be better.
-Todd
12618, RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp
Thanks for the help so far!

I got my amp hooked back up finally. So will I be able to just plug the head unit in like normal? I have the aftermarket harness to hook up the new headunit. Just wondering what's going to happen when I run the head unit with 45Watts and the stock amp with whatever it has. Will it sound crappy going that way?
12619, RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp
You can try hooking it up that way, but if you dont get any sound or it sounds like crap either you need to rewire the amp or replace the speakers if they are blown.
-Todd
12620, RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp
Thanks, i'll let ya know how it goes and how it sounds once I get the harness to the stock harness in the mail.

I plan on just bypassing the stock amp with either a 4-way or 2 2-ways once money makes it happen. That way i'll just use the stock harness for the stereo for just power and whatever. The headunit I got has a ton of amp pre-outs. So I should be good!
12621, RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp
Posted by Slo2g, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but when he says bypass he means you have to cut the wires going into the amp and after the amp and wire the corresponding wires together. That way you will "bypass" or elimnate the stock amp all together.
12622, RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp
Originally posted by Slo2g
Correct me if I am wrong but when he says bypass he means you have to cut the wires going into the amp and after the amp and wire the corresponding wires together. That way you will "bypass" or elimnate the stock amp all together.

Correct
12623, RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp
Originally posted by Slo2g

Yeah that's right. I hope it doesn't come down to that. Because I don't wanna do that at all. It's a mess down there as it is. I do plan on rewiring the speakers with some thicker wire. Well, i'll either do that or if I get a couple of amps i'll rewire them that way hopefully.
12624, RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp
Posted by oMInOUs97RS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
You will have to run wires from the radio to the amp, not just jump the wires from one side of the amp to the other... there are no wires to jump. As far as using the 4" speakers in the knee area of the dash, make sure you hook up those speakers in series with the front door speakers so you don't blow up your nice new radio. Anything under 4 ohms will burn out the internal amplifier of a radio.
12625, RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp
Posted by boosted60trimrst, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
18 gauge will be sufficiant . as far as i know all eclipses have 6 speakers even without the infinity . your best bet is to get a set of components (mids,tweets,crossovers) and hook it up to a 2 channel amp . rear speakers are bad for the sound stage of the car . most pro installations do not use rear fill because it moves the staging to the rear of the car .
12626, RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp
all i'm gunna do is hook up the aftermarket radio harness and then plug it in like I normally would on any other car and see what happens.

If i'm satisfied with that i'm going to just stick with that set up, if not i'll run wires from the aftermarket harness to the speakers. I wanna avoid that, though so hopefully it'll sound alright.

Will I blow the internal amp of the head unit by just plugging it in this way? I got the head unit for free so it's no biggy but i'd rather not have it blow.

I plan on installing it today so i'll let you guys know!

Joseph
12627, RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp
The most that will happen is you wont here any sound or it will sound shitty like your speakers are blown. You shouldnt blow up anything.
-Todd
12628, RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp
wow, this thing sounds awesome! Thanks to everyone for their help!

I couldn't be happier...well i could...I want some subs now!

Any suggestions? I don't want to spend a lot and I don't want a ton of space being taken up. I listen to about 50% rap and 50% rock type music, so I don't want a ton of bass but I do want a lot of hit for the rock type music. I'm thinkin' one or two 10" subs.

What's a good sub that won't cause me to break the bank?

Joseph

12635, RE: Head Unit Install w/o Infinity Amp
I have 2 10" polk db's and they sound great.

-Todd
I generated this page in 0.0085821151733398 seconds, executing 7 queries.